Thursday, May 15, 2014

Simmish Parenting Styles

I was wondering about the differences in parenting and how to add more dimension to my hood, not every parent treats their children like Cliff and Claire Huxtable. In my game, the parenting styles have no value judgment for the most part. Parents can love their children, but still have different parenting styles. Now that the parenting disclaimers are out the way and we understand this applies to a game, a quick preview: 

Authoritarian (Serious 6+, Nice 5-)

Authoritative (Serious 6+, Nice 6+)

Permissive (Serious 5-, Nice 6+)

Uninvolved (Serious 5-, Nice 5-)



The Four Parenting Styles

  1. Authoritarian Parenting
    These sims expect their children to follow the strict rules. Failure to follow such rules usually results in punishment. These sims often fail to explain the reasoning behind these rules or might say "Because I said so." 

    Serious 6+,  Nice 6-

    Jorge Dawson is this type of parent in my hood. He brings his military background to parenting. He loves his children and would do anything for them, but they are expected to follow the rules. When they disobey, he blows a fit (hence his reaction when he found out his little girl, his mija, was woohooing with a neighborhood boy).

  2. Authoritative Parenting
    These sims establish rules and guidelines that their children are expected to follow. However, they are more democratic, responsive to their children and willing to listen to questions. When their children fail to meet the expectations, these sims are more nurturing and forgiving rather than punishing. 

    Serious 6+,  Nice 5+

    Jesse Kent
    is this type of parent in my hood. He provides a good balance to his wife, who is more authoritarian. For example, when Bill got his first girlfriend, Faith, pregnant as teens, Fiona was more concerned with their reputation, but Jesse talked to Bill to help find ways the young teen could handle the situation. However, when Bill impregnanted Emma during university, Jesse was quick to see that his son was older and more "mature" and hence would need to handle the issue alone.

  3. Permissive Parenting
    These sims are sometimes known as indulgent parents, have very few demands to make of their children. They rarely discipline their children, are generally nurturing and communicative with their children, often taking on the status of a friend more than that of a parent.

    Serious 5-,  Nice 5+

    Verde Herendez
     is a classic permissive, even though it may not seem like it. He spoils Esperanza and has trouble saying no to her, especially because she is his only child.

  4. Uninvolved Parenting
    This sim fulfills the child's basic needs, but they are generally detached from their child's life. In extreme cases, these parents may even reject or neglect the needs of their children.

    Serious 5-,  Nice 6-

    Faith Humphrey
    is a classic uninvolved parent. She's on the extreme in that she left her family and children, the ultimate rejection and neglection of their needs.

6 comments:

  1. This is very interesting! I love all these little formulas you come up with for the game and then share with us. :)

    I do think about parenting styles in my hood but never in such a structured way. I'm going to have to look at my sims and see if this system fits the way I already thought of them. Off the top of my head, I would say it's pretty accurate. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For the most part they fit for my sims, there are a few that I see a bit differently. Thanks for reading and commenting

      Delete
  2. I agree, you have a real knack for strategizing and categorizing, like the Myers- Briggs of sims 2. This looks really accurate and a great way to think about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, sometimes I think that I overthink this game lol. Thanks for reading and commenting

      Delete
  3. I love this!! Thank you so much for sharing. I can't wait to implement this in my hood and see which parenting styles I get!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd love to see how it fits in your hood! Thanks for reading and commenting

      Delete

Thanks for reading and taking the time to comment! :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails