Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Papi Will Be, 2006

Givar, winter, 2006
Jorge and Jolie are 39, Grace Elise is 11, Ashlee is 8, Esther is 4, Chase and Amyra are 3

So far the winter was mild and the number of dangerous cases were thankfully low so Jorge had quite of few slow days were he was able to sit at home and enjoy his family. His days were filled with laughing at the antics of his son disappearing into the toy box

or listening to Grace Elise help Esther recite her numbers in preparation for kindergarten.

In spite of his tough exterior and gruff demeanor at work and with dealing with bad guys, Jorge had a weakness. His daughters. With four daughters, Jorge was well initiated into the world of girlyness. His youngest, Amyra made sure to teach him all the newest sing-along songs and show off her pretty new shoes.

Ashlee would always corral him into dancing with her across the living room,

her sweet giggles filling the air and never ending cries of "again" ringing in his ears.

His oldest, Grace Elise, was probably the best at wrapping her daddy around her little finger. She was growing before his eyes and he didn't want to think about the fact that she would be turning twelve in a few short simweeks.

Of all his daughters, she was the least girly...or so he thought as he agreed to yet another game of tossing the worn football around. He wasn't a fan of playing with her as Grace Elise had a mighty arm on her already.

"Papi?" she asked, after catching the worn leather ball.

"Si, mi hijita."

"Is ballet a sport?"

"Why do you ask?"

"I like sports...a lot."

"I know."

"But I think I like ballet just as much...maybe I could be a ballerina when I grow up."

"I see,"

"But I like sports."

"Yes..."

"Would you still play with me if I decide to like ballet more?"

His heart broke as he began to see the conversation for what it really was. His daughter reaching out to him.

"Of course, why would you think I wouldn't?"

"I mean, I know I'm not a boy and you might end up spending more time with Chase because I would dance ballet and not play sports as much and...well..."

"Mi hijita, I love you so much. If you want to dance ballet, your papi will be at all your recitals clapping the hardest and if you want to play football, your papi will be cheering the loudest. No matter what you decide you want to do, your papi will always be there."

"Thanks, papi."

Jorge didn't want to think about vast amount of changes the family would be expecting soon. Watching Grace Elise chat with her best friend, Myra, about starting secondary school next spring made Jorge realize that soon

instead of the house being filled with the giggles of the young girls, the house would be filled with phone calls and teen boys. He was more than prepared to be menacing towards the young boys, his job had taught him how to be gruff.

With the first specks of snow of the winter, came the dreaded cold and flu season. Somehow Jolie had gotten sick and as a result, Jorge was sick as well. The parents decided that they needed a night off. So they hired a babysitter, their niece, Elphy Mendenhall, to watch the kids for the night while they got some rest.

"I can make a really good soup to help you. My grandmother taught me the recipe. It's an ancient ozian recipe guaranteed to cure all sicknesses."

Elphy quickly made the soup and entertained the children with fantastic tales while their parents were able to rest.

The soup was hearty and thick and it felt as if their sickness was melting away.

"Have you thought much about opening your own bakery?" Jorge asked spooning some of the warm liquid.

"It's still an option, but I'm not sure about funding...or time. I have the next cookbook I'm working on, my work with Keith and I've been working on some of my own designs as well. Not to mention working with CupaJava and my new job overseeing the menu at Bistro des Amis, I don't think I could handle opening my own bakery...at least not yet. Maybe in a few simyears."

"How is the new job going?"

"It's going well. I'm working on a new menu for the bistro to really emphasize the fact that it's a Deux-Sèvres bistro. I'm even thinking of taking a trip to Deux-Sèvres to research the culinary arts of course."

"Of course," Jorge grinned. "Would I be able to tag along?"

"Of course, but what would you do while there?"

"Let me show you."

---
This video reminds of Jorge so much and part inspiration for this update since Jorge had been demanding that his voice is heard.

EDIT: For some reason the Council on Fatherhood removed the cute video of the tattoo'd father getting a manicure, but there are more on thier website for you to look through.

7 comments:

  1. Aww, the video was removed by user. Oh, well. It's so crazy how fast kids grown, and Grace will be a teen soon! *faints* I feel for her dad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think Grace would make a great ballerina and sometimes daddies need to get used to the changes to come. 4 girls are no laughing matter. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aw, I love dads and their daughters. I guess I just love seeing a guy getting a bit girly to get close to his little girl. I think I know the video you're talking about too and I actually thought of it when I started reading this post!

    So glad Elphy was around to make Jorge and Jolie that special soup! Getting sick is always a worry!

    Can't believe that Grace Elise will be a teen soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love seeing men with their daughters. Girls really can make a rough and tough guy like Jorge the biggest teddy bear. Sometimes it's best that the he have girls to balance out the demands of his life.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for commenting you guys, it means a lot to me to know that others are reading the blog and are interested in my stories.

    Riverdale, Grace Elise will probably be a pretty easy teen *cross fingers* she is such a laid back child.

    Heredon Cove, no, four daughters isn't easy. I think Jorge might need to spend some time with Bradford to help Bradford cope with his four little girls.

    Carla, me too. I can't help it, but big grown burly men playing dress up with thier daughters is sooo cute. :)

    Choco, you're right. I think tea parties and tales of pretty shoes is a welcome distraction from hunting down the bad guys.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awwww... this is sweet! I love the way jorgepromised to be there cheering his daughter on no matter what she chose to do.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Blackcat, thanks. Jorge would suffer though anything for his family.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and taking the time to comment! :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails