Thursday, August 19, 2010

Don't Crack, 2006

Patar, summer, 2006


Carmela set out the plates of braised llama roast, courtesy of Ginger from Grey Farms and Market. Carmela couldn’t remember the last time she had time to actually cook a decent meal. Now that Rojo was a teen and Verde off in university, the family was often too busy to have dinner together. Carmela wasn’t complaining, it gave her more time to persue her game, Los Gatos. She was almost to level seven of the quirky game and she couldn’t wait until this dinner was over to attempt to pass her current level and collect another golden litter box.


“We care about you, Rebecca.”

“I know,” Rebecca said putting a small piece of meat in her mouth. She had been out of the hospital for a few simdays and Julio had made it clear that there would be some big changes going on and that she was responsible for picking her priorities and what she wanted to focus on. Of course, her family was first and her toy shoppe second…a very close second. Would it be a bad thing if she admitted that at times her business was first? Third…third was getting over this funk and getting off of the medications that she had to take to help her make it through the day. Everything else was going to be pushed aside until…if… she picked them back up.

“We really just want you to get better.”

“I know,” she echoed listening to her cousin speak. She had learned long ago to simply allow Fiona to talk because like it or not, Fiona was going to talk and get her point across.

“This is really the best option,”

“I know, that’s why I suggested it.” That much was true. Her work with the council wasn’t as important to her anymore. She enjoyed managing the finances of the hood, but it did take a lot of time. Time that she could have devoted to her business, especially now with Ana Rayne taking more time than expected.

“Yes and you made a wise decision. I don’t know why I didn’t think of it myself.”

Rebecca smiled. “How do you feel about it, S’Ahmisa?”

“Honestly, nervous. I’m not sure that I’ll be able to learn everything so quickly.”

“Phish posh, you are already savvy with the simoleans, look at the return on your investment with the reception hall. You have a natural flair for it.” Fiona encouraged.

“I’m a bit concerned about the rest of the council, won’t they think I’m too young to be the Financial Director.”

“Who cares,” Carmela interrupted. “You are the new Financial Director for now and in three more simyears they can vote for another sim if they want to.”

“But by that time you’ll be out of university and can run for the position.”

“Or Ms. Wilsonoff would perhaps want to rejoin the council by then or even before then.”

“You might as well call me Rebecca, and we’ll see how things are when the time comes.”

“Do you think you’ll be ready to present your suggestion for the import policy at the next council meeting?”

“Um, yes. I’ve done some revisions since my internship with Mayor Cunningham and I think it’s almost ready.”

“Good, you’ll introduce a bit of your thoughts on the import policy as well as your political background when we introduce you as the interim Financial Director.”


“Don’t worry, you’ll be fine.” Rebecca assured the young woman. “If you need anything, feel free to call me.”

“Of course she’ll be fine,” Carmela echoed. “Right, S’Ahmisa?”

“Yes, yes…I’ll be fine. I have great leaders to follow.”


“You take care of yourself, Rebecca.” Carmela said hugging her sister-in-law. “Remember I’ll be over there this simweek to help with the twins, Jolie’s twins are sick with a summer cold but she’s still cooking dinner for this simweek as well. I’ll bring it over when I come by.”

“Ok, thanks.”

“Go home and rest, or journal, or build a kite. Whatever it is that you are supposed to be doing.” Fiona encouraged.

“I’m supposed to try reopening the shop one day this simweek.”

“Ok, I’ll come over there and help you with the shop as well.”

“I don’t think I’ll need any help.”

“Well, I’ll keep you company then.”


“Alright, Fiona.” She agreed not wanting to argue. Accept help. Pastor Humphrey had encouraged her. It was hard accepting help…it was almost a sign of weakness, as if she wasn’t capable of doing things herself. She was going through a rough spot, it wasn’t as if she wanted to harm herself or others, but she knew that she had a long road ahead of her.
-----


Fiona surveyed the room, it was very rare when she demanded that all the council members be present and thankfully they all showed, even Suzanna and Li who were not technically part of the council.

“Thank you all for coming, there are several things we need to address. First, let me introduce S’Ahmisa Warwick. S’Ahmisa will be joining the council as the interim Financial Director as Rebecca is taking a leave of absence. Many of you may be unaware of S’Ahmisa’s political background, so I will let her explain.”


“Thank you. Last summer I’ve served as an intern with Mayor Cunningham of Simmington Hills and was able to present several suggestions regarding my stance on the import policy. I am experienced with managing simoleans as I have already increased my initial funds from my parents by six fold thanks to wise real estate investments like the reception hall next door. I am very excited to be joining the council and working with all of you.”

“Thank you, next on the agenda is the proposals for the term. Many of you have already submitted your proposals for the term, I will need all proposals published by the end of the simyear.”


“Even if we don’t hold an elected position?” Jadhira asked.

“Yes, especially so. It doesn’t have to be elaborate. Just some details of your plans for the next three and half simyears so residents are encouraged by our progress and are fully aware of how their tax dollars are being spent.”

“Would you need for me to submit a proposal?” Li asked.

“No, your duties come directly from the Community Director, so there is no need for that this term. Any other questions?” Fiona asked looking around the room, “Next is our tax collection, S’Ahmisa.”

“Yes, the council collected §324,900 of that §85,500 was collected from active residents. I am interested to hear the council’s thoughts of how to allocate the funding for this simyear.”


“The medical centre could use some renovations,” Julio started.

“Didn’t you already get funding for that project?”


“We received funding to renovate the lab," Suzanna added, "however the medical centre needs more renovations than just the lab.”

“If you could meet with Li Yoo and submit a cost anaylis of the project then I will be able to review it.”

“I need to submit something? We usually just decide those things at the council meeting.”

“I will need to look at the numbers as I am sure that other council members will want funding for other projects as well Dr. Wilsonoff.”


“Yes, in fact, we have an issue with the school. It’s already crowded in spite of it being brand new.” Johan spoke up. “With the predicted bump in population, we will need to consider building a separate secondary school for the students.”


“Also, there are complaints about the lack of entertainment options in the hood.” Carmela said. “We will need to look at building some additional lots or renovating existing lots with entertainment options for families.”

S’Ahmisa nodded. “How about each council member provide a detailed cost anaylis to me within…say, two simweeks. I will be able to allocate funds within four simweeks so projects can get started as soon as possible.”

“We would get funding within the simlonic month?” Jadhira asked in awe.

“Yes, I do need your proposals in writing of course so I can crunch the numbers, but you will have your funding within a simlonic month.”

“Which also means,” Fiona added. “That you might want to get to work submitting at least the first draft of your proposals for the term so you can get funding for the simyear. If there are no further questions, then this meeting is adjourned.”
----


S’Ahmisa plugged the numbers into the spreadsheet, the screen’s glow illuminating her family photo.

“Come in,” she said answering the knock at the office door.

“You have set it up rather nicely in here,” Fiona said looking around the cramped room that formerly belonged to Rebecca.


“Thank you, I brought some items from my dorm to make it a bit more personal.”


“Are you still staying in the dorm?”

“For now, I think my junior year I would like to move out into an apartment. There’s an apartment complex that I’m considering buying and investing in. I’m still doing a bit of research about it, but I think I will sign the papers next simweek.”

“Great. How are the proposals going?”


“They’re going well. I think I almost have the money almost all allocated for except for the emergency fund of course. In fact, I was looking through some old council notes and I think that we should bring back the department funds for the council. That way the directors have full control over their funding, but with submitting frequent reports and being subject to random audits of course.”


“Sounds great. Just a reminder, since you’re serving as the interim Financial Director, you will need to submit a proposal as well.”

“I do?”

“Yes, all council members do. Welcome to the council.”
----


“So she’s the interim Financial Director now?”

“Yes and she’s doing a great job of it. In a way I’m glad that I’ll be about ready to move on to other things by the time she’s ready to take the helm of the council.”

“You think she could be spokesim and council president one day.”


“You’ve worked with her, Mayor Cunningham. You tell me.”

“I think you’re looking at the next mayor or even the first Leader of the Free World if we’re not careful.”

Fiona smiled. “I bet she could do it. I could see her doing that with the SUN hoods.”


“Ha! From what I’ve seen she’s already ahead of the game, she’s only twenty and already has a seat on Apple Valley county council. Can you imagine her in ten simyears? She’ll be giving us old geezers orders.”


“I’m not old, Sabien. You know what they say, don’t you.”

“What?”

“Good black don’t crack, baby. I’m not ever going to be an old geezer.”

3 comments:

  1. It's a good idea for Rebecca to take a back seat on this, at least for a while. She's got enough to deal with.

    How awesome that it's given S'Ahmisa such a wonderful opportunity. She's like a financial prodigy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL on the last comment. I saw you posted your medical center tour, can't wait to read that next. It's nice to read this, and then go see the tour.

    S’Ahmisa is really making a name for herself, it's exciting to see her at the beginning of her career.

    ReplyDelete
  3. -Carla, LOL! I guess you could say that. I've been toying with my new money management styles system and S'Ahmisa's money style surprised me at first-binger-but I now understand why.

    -Maisie, It's a bit strange, but S'Ahmisa seems to want to take over the simworld. I have to remind her that she isn't even 20 yet. Live a little.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and taking the time to comment! :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails