Saturday, January 30, 2010

A Moment in Time-2005

Lovar, spring, 2005
mini-update
Jorge couldn't call this an interview, nor could he call it a job offer, after all Brandon had already accepted the job. So maybe it was a welcome- to- the -neighborhood-do- you- have -any- last -minute -questions -before -being- thrown- head- first- into- a- major- project lunch.

The two men settled into the newly renovated resturaunt.
"This used to be an italian place," Jorge mentioned as they looked over the menu.
"Really?"
"Yea, too many italian places in the hood, so they made this into some sort of french bistro type place. My wife helped with the menu."
"Then I expect nothing but the best. I've heard of Ms.Dawson, my wife is a huge fan of her cookbooks. Your wife is like an idol to her."
"Really? We'll have to have you two come to the house so they can meet each other."
"Ilila would love that, anything that has to do with food, she's all over it. She can't cook much, but she knows good food."

"Your wife sounds like me, I love to eat."
Brandon laughed. "To Ilila, food is like music, a symphony. She can talk about it all day long, about the melody of flavors clashing together in her mouth, the fireworks exploding in her head."
"So she really loves her food."
"And her wine. Did I mention she loves a good wine as well."

"Your wife sounds like she would be a good hostess. Is she prepared for that?"
Brandon nodded. "Yes, sir. Ilila knows what's expected of a military wife, especially the wife of a high ranking officer. She knows that she is to be present at the wive's club, being alone during deployments and relocations where ever the service takes us."

Jorge nodded. "That's great. I don't foresee you being relocated anytime soon. You're going to need time to build up the base and ranks here in Apple Valley. Besides, the hood needs you as the new military advisor and your wife as the new elementary school teacher. "

"We're both excited about the new opportunities here in Apple Valley, sir." Brandon continued in his military tone.
"I'm sending my nephew, Verde, to the base this afternoon. He thinks he wants a career in the military and has a desire to join the ROTC during university. Don't go easy on him."

Brandon considered Jorge's words as he watched the young man scramble through the obstacle course.
"Hurry up, you're wasting time!" Brandon shouted after the young man.
Verde grunted as he pulled himself up.


Physically, Verde was cut out for the military life. Brandon could tell as much by the way Verde pushed his body and how much he controlled every little movement in his muscles.

Brandon wondered if the young man would follow orders. He knew that he came from money, mostly old money that wasn't really there, but his family still had the reputation of having money and thus the boy was spoiled. He didn't put forth an effort, doing just enough to get by. Brandon could tell this from his files, his grades were lack luster and he participated in very few extracurricular activities.

"Hustle, hustle!"


Brandon knew that he couldn't discount the young man, he would give him a spot in the ROTC program and the full scholarship that came along with it. He would give this boy becoming a man a chance, the same way he was given a chance when he was that age.

"I do have a few concerns," Brandon started. "Do you know what they might be?"
Verde nodded. "My grades. Most sims look at my grades and turn the other way."
"Why is it that your grades are so low?" He asked.
Verde shrugged. "I'm not sure. I try my best, I really do. Most of my teachers thought that I was slacking, but I wasn't, honest."
"I believe you," Brandon replied. He had no choice, the results were in front of him in black in white. According to the testing, Verde wasn't a slacker, he suffered from an undiagnosed case of dyslexia.
"Let me review the terms of the enlistment again," Brandon started. "We will cover your tuition and fees for Pierce University for the entire term of your enrollment, provided that you take no more than 5 simyears to complete your degree."
Verde nodded.
"During your university term, you will be required to report to physical training, or PT, twice a simweek; pass all your military coursework; and attend summer field training. Upon graduation, we expect a service committment of six simyears. Do you think you can handle this?"

Verde nodded, "Yes, sir!"
---
So Verde's in the ROTC now. He has a doofus trait, but instead of all my sims being just a "doofus", I need explanations. Myra has learning disabilities and Verde has dyslexia.
You've met Brandon Peterson very briefly and you'll be formally introduced to this family in their future update.
It's been an action packed spring, so tell me what do you think? Too many updates? To many mini-updates? What would you like to see?

10 comments:

  1. I'm happy for other bloggers to update as much or as little as they like, honestly. I'm just pleased to have something to read, whether it's a full update or a mini-one.

    I bet Verde will be able to make something of himself in the military, so good luck to him.

    Nice to get a look at one of your new Sims too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. -Carla, thanks. I was wondering if I had the updates too close together, but I'm finding that I keep visiting families and getting all these cute little mini-updates. Sometimes they're not as "mini" as they should be.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It doesn't matter to me, either. I update when I feel like it...as you all know. :P If I miss any of you guys' updates, I'll catch up one way or another.

    I'm happy to meet Brandon Peterson, first off. And I love the ROTC program you've got going.

    I'm going to have to start moving along with my military program, too. I've got one Sim currently in Military, but he won't be running it...Bruce Peterson is heading to the Hills for that! (Brandon's brother) I look forward to that.

    I recently read the Millwood blog and I fell in love with Mizz's military base. It was really inspiring...same here as with AV's base.

    I'm glad to see that Verde's learning disability has been discovered. I hope he can meet the requirements the military has given him.

    BTW, are you still going to be posting family trees?

    ReplyDelete
  4. -SH, there's an older version of the family trees on the Apple Valley website, but I'll add a sidelink to it as well. I like the Millwood's base as well, very nice. I'm thinking of adding a base in one of the vacation locales since military sims do get shipped off for deployment sometimes. I also like Millwood's therory about bootcamp. I think Verde will be able to meet military requirements easily, it's university that I'm worried about.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't mind a lot of updates, I love getting more peeks into the lives of everyone's Sims. :) Sometimes it takes me a few days to catch up if things have gotten busy, but I still always enjoy having a few updates to read all at once.

    I like your explanation for Verde's trait. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. -Shana, thanks. It seems like lately it's been an update almost everyday, but they're smaller peeks into the lives of my simmies instead of full blown stories.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love updates, period! Doesn't matter if they are every day or once a every two weeks. Blogging out our sims is for fun, so when it hits you to update I go "yay!" lol Like Shana said, I enjoy getting that little window into every one's little simmies lives.

    I'm going to nab your ROTC idea if you don't mind. I was in JROTC in high school, so I love this idea.

    ReplyDelete
  8. -Riverdale, welcome back online! Feel free to nab and grab.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't think there is such a thing as too many updates. I enjoy reading about what's going on with your sims.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and taking the time to comment! :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails