Tuesday, August 11, 2009

The End of Things, Lovar 2004

Lovar 2004
(mini-update)




Fiona shuffled through the short pile of paperwork and glanced at the couple in front of her. This SimLonic month was supposed to be about love, how ironic that they decided to end thier marriage this month.

"What issues are there left to dicuss? Have you two decided on a way to spilt the assests?"

"There's not many assets left to spilt. The cost of the fertility treatments and debts leaves very little to spilt. By the time we settle the debts the amount left would be enough for a burger."

"Besides, we've agreed that I would have $3000 from the funds and nothing more."

"What about custody of the children?" Fiona asked, making notes.

"I love my kids, I really do, but Tobi is a much better father than I am a mother."

"So I'm assuming Tobi will retain full custody of the children?"

"Yes, Li will have visitation every summer and once a SimLonic month if she chooses."

"Let's discuss child support."



"That won't be neccessary." Tobi spoke up.

"You're declining child support?"
Tobi nodded as he met the eyes of the woman soon to be his ex-wife.

"May I ask why?"

"Let's just say that my wife and I have come to an agreement concerning the divorce. No child support, I retain full custody and she has visitation rights and she recieves the small amount of simoleans that she requested. The children and I will live in a townhouse in the Metro that is within walking distance of her loft in the Metro."

Fiona arched her brow. Rumors of Tobi's infidelity ran through her head as well as rumors of Li looking to start her life over with a jet-set career. It wasn't her place to argue with the couple, it was becoming quite obvious that they only needed her to sign the paperwork. All the negoiations had been done.
"Alright, then this marriage is absolved." She said rising and collecting thier fee. The couple stood and eyed each other.

"Good luck."

"You too."

"I hope you find what you are looking for."

"I hope you find it too."
+++++

The funny thing about divorce is that even though the paperwork might be signed, that didn't mean the family immediately went thier seperate ways. Thier new homes in the Metro would be ready by the end of the simlonic month, Tobi would be taking the children to a townhouse and Li would be moving into a loft that her company designed. The two homes were walking distance away, in fact, Li could stand at her window and watch her children play in thier backyard.
"So you're going to live across the street?" Simora asked.

"Yes, I will be able to see you play in your backyard."

"But you won't live with us?" Ping asked.
"Right."
"You're not going to die, right?"
"No, sweetie, I'm not going to die." Li assured her kids.
"You're not sick, right?"
"I'm not sick."
"Hmm, I guess it's ok, then."

Even Tobi was surprised at how well the triplets handled the divorce.
"You and mom still like each other right? You're still friends?"
"Yes, we will always be friends."
"We'll still take vacations sometimes all together?"
"We will try."
"And you're not going to die or get sick, right?"
"Right."
"Ok then."



-----
The Sweeny's are no more :( Li will now be using her maiden name, Yoo. Tobi and the children will be moving to a townhouse in the Metro and Li will move to a loft in the Metro where she can watch her children play in thier backyard from her window. The kids only feared that a family member would die or get sick, perhaps they know that mommy and daddy will remain friends.
Li will have visitation every summer and even more frequently since they live so close, child support has been declined by the primary caregiver.
How do you handle divorces in your hood? Is every family syrupy sweet and perfect-therefor there are no divorces or do you allow your sims to tell you that they want a divorce? How do you handle things like child custody and dividing assets? Do you use a cheat to make break-ups easier-without all the neccessary negative relationship tactics? Please share!

9 comments:

  1. You know I do look at Li being selfish. She could have stuck it out and made it work, and to leave the kids with her ex because she wants that jet set career. Boo on her. LOL

    I've only had one divorce so far in my hood. It was between Edward Christian and Jamie Lopez. He cheated on her and she found out so she sent him packing. This was before Riverdale issued laws regarding divorce. So all she got was the $200 per child in child support.

    You can got to my main site and read the laws to see what happens regarding a divorce.

    I normally leave it up to my sims. I've noticed a few of them are wishy washy in their choices. Like one of my sims, she loves her boyfirend. They were going to get married a few years back, but she broke it off. She never rolled any wants for him, at all. But soon as they borke up she cried and sobbed,a nd started rolling wants for him left and right.

    Now that they are back together the wants have stopped again. ROFL Oh, and they have no bolts for each other at all, but the woohoo is great. They aways have fireworks and sparks and all that good stuff. I have no idea what to do with those two. They are also in love.

    Sims can be so confusing at times. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't been playing my new hood long enough to have a divorce, but in Pleasantview when one of my families split, the dad kept the son and the mom kept the twin girls. The mother kept the house and he moved out since he was the cheater! I have a more systematic way of dealing with it now though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i haven't had any divorces yet. My sims seem to like their families for now. But when (and if) they do decided to divorce, I plan to make the guilty party move out. The spouse that makes the most money pays alimony unless the it is declined. Who the children go to will depend on aspiration and personality.

    ReplyDelete
  4. No divorce yet in my hood, either. Everybody likes each other. I do have the Break Up Anytime hack at Simlogical.

    Sabien wrote a divorce law under Marriage Rights on my law page, but he also stresses that he'd like Sims to work things out if possible.

    In case it ever does happen, I'll have the divorce decided in a court of law (by the readers), basically a public poll. All the elements of the divorce, such as division of property, bank accounts, and custody of the children/pets would be decided by that poll. I'll decide how long the poll lasts, but during that time no Sim moves out of the house.

    The spouse that makes the least simoleans will be entitled to spousal support for one simyear, unless they marry again before that time is up. The Sim paying the support will pay 20% of their daily income for one simyear.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad the triplets are handling things well. It's sad, but if this is what Tobi and Li think is best, then I hope everything works out better for everyone.

    I've only had one divorce so far, when Sarah Lloyd caught Eric cheating on her with Suzie Craig. Eric and Sarah had joint custody of their son Ian, but Sarah was the main caregiver and received child support for Ian's day to day expenses. There was no alimony though because they both have their own careers and neither needed to be taken care of by the other.

    I have a very high amount of still married couples, but if circumstances call for it, I will allow my Sims to divorce. If one is cheating on the other or they just don't seem to be in love anymore, I won't force them to remain together. The divorce could work out better for everyone involved and let them find someone else that makes them happy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very interesting comments, I thought everyone would jump on Tobi for cheating.

    -Riverdale, Li maybe is a bit selfish, but so is Tobi. I would be lying if I said the divorce wasn't mutual. They both wanted out for different reasons (Li to follow her career, Tobi to follow his first love without guilt) and since they wanted different things they found a compromise for the divorce settlement.

    Neither had the fear of getting divorce, Li kept rolling career related wants, while Tobi kept rolling wants related to Ginger. That's the closest I got to a divorce want.

    Far as custody, Tobi has wanted kids from day one and he would have fought Li tooth and nail to keep his children. Li pretty much had the children since Tobi kept rolling wants for them and I wanted to see what cuties they would have.

    -Mizzgin03, that's an interesting way. I guess if the kids were older they would have chosen who to live with, but since they're tiny-they go with papa.

    -Monique, what if they divorce and there isn't a guilty party. What would you do if they simply stopped rolling wants or desires for each other?

    -Simmington Hills, hmm, that's interesting to let the public decide. I have a feeling that Li would have gotten custody of the children and to be honest, she really doesn't want them full time. "Too much baggage to climb to the top with" she says :P

    -Shana, most of the couples in Apple Valley are happy together as well, Tobi and Li are the only ones that seemed unhappy. Funny how it all started with Grex cheating on Ginger.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'll jump on Tobi. I felt really bad for Li when he was cheating on her and she was stuck at home taking care of the kids.

    I've had one divorce in Eden. After Ricky Cormier went into aspiration failure when his second child was born. I took that to mean that he had decided family life wasn't for him, so I had him leave his wife Rose and kids and move downtown. I don't do anything complex like alimony or child support. But she was a doctor and he was a slacker and the house and family funds came from her family, since he was a townie, so it wasn't really necessary anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Forgot to add . . .

    I really like the idea of using lacking wants to interact with each other as a sign that a couple is headed for divorce. I've seen that happen with a lot of sim couples, but they stayed together and pursued their own interests (even if that included secretly cheating.)

    ReplyDelete
  9. -Em, I never thought about using thier reaction to births or aspirational failures as indications of wanting a divorce. I will keep that in mind.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and taking the time to comment! :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails